Sunday, November 6, 2011

I can't drive, 55!!!

Seriously, the traffic is so bad I can't even drive 25. You wouldn't like it here Sammy (Hagar, not my sis.) But who cares...we've got wheels. After a month of walking, taking taxis, and bumming rides, we are free to take our lives into our own hands like everyone else. Check out our sweet ride (pictured). It's a beast, but I like it. A vehicle this size has distinct pros and cons for life in Kathmandu and Nepal. Let's review a few:

Pros:
- The rumbling diesel powered 4.2 liter V6 engine makes me feel I can run over anything.
- I can give 7 of my closest friends, or one Yeti, a lift in comfort.
- The tiny cars and swarming motorcycles seem to be afraid of my girth. Or perhaps it's that I sometimes forget we drive on the left here.

Cons:
- The rumbling diesel powered 4.2 liter V6 engine makes me feel I can run over anything.
- Gas mileage leaves something to be desired. I think posting a picture of it burned some fuel.
- It's a tad wide for Kathmandu's narrow streets. Fortunately, with the push of a button the side mirrors automatically collapse. (Sometimes this is actually necessary.)

Driving any car here, no matter the size, presents new challenges. Driving on the left is obvious. And there are dogs and holy cows and pedestrians who march heedlessly across the street while employing the "hand of power" ordering you to stop. Also, a turn signal can mean either "I'm turning that way" or "Please go around me that way." Finally, operating a stick-shift with the left-hand but depressing standard pedals is a bit like patting your head and rubbing your stomach. But all of this is another reason we like this car: its safety features. Plus, at 5-10 miles per hour, most things will just bounce off. As the bigger car and foreign driver, apparently I'm at fault no matter what. So watch out Kathmandu; I've got an old beat up Toyota Land Cruiser and I'm not afraid to use it.

No comments:

Post a Comment