Thursday, March 22, 2012

Back in Kansas

Here are a few little things, in no particular order, that I enjoy about being home:
1. Traffic laws
2. Garbage disposal
3. Cow-less streets
4. Everything related to food...its cleanliness, variety, availability, recognizability, and Waffle House
5. High speed internet
6. Public parks with clean air
7. Knowing what the heck is going on

Having said that, I miss Nepal as well. These things most of all:
1. Buddhist temples with monkeys
2. Hindu temples with sadhus
3. The Himalayas visible from my window
4. The Nepalese people
5. Momos
6. मलाई नेपाली भाषा बोल्न मन पर्चा, or To me Nepali language to speak my heart falls on it (i.e. "I like to speak Nepali.")
7. Never knowing what the heck will happen next

The moral of the story is that it's not easy to live abroad, especially in a developing country. I've stretched myself and tested my comfort levels in ways I'd never imagined. But the perspective I've gained is worth all the challenges. Still, as Dorothy said, there's no place like home.

No comments:

Post a Comment