Saturday, October 27, 2012

Video Killed the Radio Star

If you happened to listen to 97.9 Image Radio Nepal Monday morning, you might have heard a familiar voice (for those who know me). Or, more precisely, you would have heard an American's sad attempt to speak about the Diversity Visa in Nepali. Wow! That was a humbling experience. The station apparently has more listeners than any other in Nepal. I'll bet they don't anymore. For about 30 minutes I tried to explain a large portion of our immigration law in Nepali. The key word there is, tried. I do dozens of visa interviews in Nepali daily. Due to their repetitive nature, I've gotten pretty good. This was a whole new ball game. It was different subject matter combined with the stress of a microphone and fast talking radio personality. (He told me he'd speak slowly!) And of course Nepali and Yoda still have the same syntax:

Host: "To you the U.S. government upon arrival in America a job will arrange?"

Me: "No. You upon reaching America your own job must find."

Thank goodness my Nepalese coworker was with me to answer those questions I struggled with...which is to say most of them. Nothing ventured, nothing gained I suppose. In this case, I ventured my pride and I gained a blog topic. Seems fair.

1 comment:

  1. Way to take on a personally-challenging experience like that! I have no doubt that your effort in being there and trying (in Nepali, no less) made the biggest impression on listeners.

    ReplyDelete