Monday, November 5, 2012

Testing, Testing, 1, 2, 3

Randomly throughout a normal day in Kathmandu, I think about what I would do if there were suddenly an earthquake.  We are due for a big one any day now.  Would I stay put and cover my head, run for the door, hunker down next to a heavy dresser so debris would fall on it and not me?  What if Ryan was in another room, would I be able to get to her?  I come up with all sorts of plans for how to get down the fire escape with Ryan if one of our carriers weren't close by.  I think about what I would break a window with if I couldn't get it open.  I ponder different scenarios under which I would or would not grab the cats and the "go" bag.  Then I wonder, would I really DO anything that I planned?  Would I be able to think straight, would I be able to physically or mentally go anywhere?  Well tonight I got my answer.  I was nursing Ryan to sleep in her room around 7pm when the bed and everything else began to shake.  I immediately scooped her up and ran for the door.  Keith met me in under the door frame of Ryan's room, where we stayed for a few minutes to assess the situation.  Everything seemed to be ok.  It turned out that I did not think about any previous plans I had made and my instincts to grab my baby and run completely took over.  It ended up being a very short, small (4.6) earthquake centered just over the border in China.  No damage was done to our apartment that we could see.   As Keith says, nothing really moved, even a birthday card on a bookshelf in the living room stayed put.  Although, I think my heart rate did budge a bit.  It felt like a test.  A reminder that a big one could hit at anytime.  At least now I know what to do if that happens.  Trust my instincts, as if I have a choice.

No comments:

Post a Comment